St Leonard’s Church History

St Leonard’s is named after the Chapel of Chapelton dedicated to St Leonard. All that remains of the Chapel is a few foundation stones now overgrown with grass along St Leonard’s Road, Forres. The congregation owes its origin to the famous Disruption of 1843 when many across the land broke away from the established church to form The Free Church.

The original Free Church in Forres was situated at the south end of Cumming Street and was opened in February 1844. The congregation continued to worship in this building for the next 60 years until Forres High Church was opened in 1903 on its present site on the High Street.

A further seven ministries later, the High Church became St Leonard’s through union with Castlehill Church at the other end of the High Street. More detailed information about the history of St Leonard’s can be found in a book published in 2003 to mark the centenary of the building.

The church is now the focal point for the Urban part of the Team Ministry of the parish of West Moray Church of Scotland.